SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210681 - 03/31/02 05:41 PM Mike H Solution ?>
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Utilizing the JUMP feature will help you with the SD1 . You could program a intro to be up to 16 measures . You play a boogie style . when you get to the end of the song press JUMP and hit intro #1 . What you have programed will play in realtime . Before the intro ends you can call up your next pattern and just lock the tempo ! The next style plays right away ! dano

#210682 - 03/31/02 06:26 PM Re: Mike H Solution ?>
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Hi Dan O - thanks for keepin in touch with us in the north land where the end of winter is the first day of fall!!!

I am very close to understanding how to have my songs cued up on the arranger with a combination of basic accompaniments and what might be called pre-recorded arrangements that don't switch with chord changes by using split point variations - allowing me to play two handed as I am accustomed to as strictly an instrumental jazz guy. I am still hammering out the basic switch mechanisms so there is absolutely no gap as one might have when switching between sequencer and full arranger play.

I have beat this issue to death on this board but here in the north we can't even see arrangers for the most part - but now I am pretty confident that all the major manufactures would allow me to do this in a variety of ways. I think the VA series allows up to a 64 measure accompaniment - and I am sure that can be fiddled with in a variety of ways changing from 4/4 to 8/4 etc.

I am leaning hard to the VA76 - sounds, I like the touch screen - I don't think the FC7 pedal is near what the SD does with their 13 programmable ones - but I am more comfortable with Roland despite their office help.

Mike

#210683 - 03/31/02 06:41 PM Re: Mike H Solution ?>
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I am very close to understanding how to have my songs cued up on the arranger with a combination of basic accompaniments and what might be called pre-recorded arrangements that don't switch with chord changes by using split point variations - allowing me to play two handed as I am accustomed to as strictly an instrumental jazz guy. I am still hammering out the basic switch mechanisms so there is absolutely no gap as one might have when switching between sequencer and full arranger play.

How many measures can be used to make a intro on a VA7 or VA76 ? are you saying 64 measures ?
Can you jump back to the customized intro on the VA series ?

This is the key in my opinion . There is no delay going to another style after the intro plays out ! If you are able to jump back to an introduction , while it is playing out ....you could improvise any thing you want above the split point . You could even jump back 2 or 3 times . I do not think the VA will allow this without using a tremendous amount of registrations . Be careful ! dano

You could also record everything directly to the hard drive on the SD1 . With JUMPs and everything being recorded !

#210684 - 03/31/02 08:55 PM Re: Mike H Solution ?>
Mike H Offline

Dan O.........

Now - according to Mart..you can record a user style accompaniment of up to 64 measures. Now I am assuming you can do that for just one of the variations - which theoretically should let you use a long prerecorded sequence (as long as you don't trigger a restart of that accompaniment by striking something below the split point).

I think I understand your point about recording the whole thing to the hard drive on the Solton - HOWEVER - my goal is to have access to just certain prerecorded passages in my music simultaneous with full arranger play - and specifically to trigger them when the mood strikes - not when the sequencer tells me its time. In my music - which isn't groove or dance music - I often want a passage which may be out of time - or very rubato - an interlude or intro - and to embellish it with a synth pad, string or brass passage that is independant from the chord changes. I realize this is somewhat of a departure from normal arr. use - but I really want to try it and think I'm getting there

MH

#210685 - 04/02/02 03:08 AM Re: Mike H Solution ?>
BlueSuede Offline

Mike, it is possible to do this with VA-series.

A Roland style is built of up to 36 different "parts"- I donīt remember the correct term (intro, original, variation, fill to orig, fill to vari, ending (=6), all those in basic or advanced =6*2=12), and all those in major, minor, or seventh (=12*3=36).

Those 36 "parts" can be totally different (if you want). You can for instance have a longer sequenced symphonic part triggered by "original, advanced, minor", an ordinary 2 measure jazzwalts triggered by "fill to vari, basic, seventh", and "smoke on the water" triggered by "ending, basic, major" etc. etc.

You can do it all from scratch, you can combine various ready made styles, you can use sequenced parts like midifiles or you can combine all this. You can have 36 different songs in one style - or you can..... And all this is triggered by a button (intro, etc) and by chord (maj, min 7).

The only problem is, that it can be somewhat tricky to create this style, containting all this - but itīs fully possible!

Regards, Michael

#210686 - 04/02/02 08:13 AM Re: Mike H Solution ?>
Mike H Offline

Thanks Michael

I followed what you said - and I accept the complexity - knowing full well that I will need to start simply.

MH

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online